Wednesday, October 3, 2007

On Ramp, Texas

DO NOT, ever, run low on diesel fuel.

8:30 pm Monday, I made it into a gas station in a remote section of Texas, put enough in to get me to Austin and drove about 200 yards onto the on ramp to the 10 east... and the bus died.

I decided it would be best to replace my over throw the governmenet t-shirt with the more rugged appearing "Hike or Die" t-shirt, tuck the dreadlock mohawk under a baseball hat and replace my sandals with combat boots.

I must have been running on the fuel IN the lines; which allowed an air pocket to form between the Old fuel and the New fuel. In the process of trying to start it again I fried my fuel pump. So said the mobile diesel mechanic that the VERY republican looking Police Officer who stopped the next morning, referred me to said.

So, after giving Joe the Mechanic $120 for driving 9 miles and looking at it for a 1/2 hour. I walked the 2 miles to the parts store and got another fuel pump ($100) and replaced it myself... it still didn't start. I tried bleeding the fuel lines of air to no avail. All the while charging my batteries with my new gas generator and my battery charger while parked about 2 feet off the road.

About midnight Tuesday after spending a 1/2 hour or more standing up over the engine on my front tire, screaming and cussing everything and everybody at the top of my lungs; I was about to give up for the night when a tow truck arrived. I donned my hat and prepared to be force towed by the cops.. BUT .. It was Henry an older Hispanic man who offered to tow me to a friendly gas station with lots of room the next exit east. He repeatedly said I'd be safer there... which made me think that maybe I wouldn't be. When I informed him that I didn't have any money left... he didn't care. Said it was on his way home and that if he didn't tow me NOW, the cops would be calling him in the morning to Force Tow me since I been there so long. I was a little worried (he could take me anywhere) but recognized that he was most likely right about my fate if he didn't... and so I agreed and let Henry take me for a ride.

~~~
In 27 hours on the on ramp 2 people stopped. the cop and Henry... I was passed by other "hippie school buses" which really pissed me off. I was reminded of my road trip across Canada a couple years ago when I broke down 3 times before the van died. Each time I was immediately assisted by other travelers... broke, ripped off, with no idea what to do to fix it... I cursed my country many times this day and felt a fool for wanting to "save" it.

No comments: